The hymn The Church’s One Foundation is one of my favourites. It addresses so many issues faced by the Church and her members. It personifies the Church as the bride of Christ and acknowledges God’s sovereign hand over life in the Church. The hymn was originally written to address issues faced in the Anglican Church of South Africa that led to the deposition of a bishop.
- The Church’s One Foundation
- 1 The Church’s one foundation
- Is Jesus Christ her Lord,
- She is His new creation
- By water and the Word.
- From heaven He came and sought her
- To be His holy bride;
- With His own blood He bought her
- And for her life He died.
- 2 She is from every nation,
- Yet one o’er all the earth;
- Her charter of salvation,
- One Lord, one faith, one birth;
- One holy Name she blesses,
- Partakes one Holy Food,
- And to one Hope she presses,
- With every grace endued.
- 3 The Church shall never perish!
- Her dear Lord to defend,
- To guide, sustain, and cherish,
- Is with her to the end:
- Though there be those who hate her,
- And false sons in her pale,
- Against or foe or traitor
- She ever shall prevail.
- 4 Though with a scornful wonder
- Men see her sore oppressed,
- By schisms rent asunder,
- By heresies distressed:
- Yet saints their watch are keeping,
- Their cry goes up, “How long?”
- And soon the night of weeping
- Shall be the morn of song!
- 5 ’Mid toil and tribulation,
- And tumult of her war,
- She waits the consummation
- Of peace forevermore;
- Till, with the vision glorious,
- Her longing eyes are blest,
- And the great Church victorious
- Shall be the Church at rest.
- 6 Yet she on earth hath union
- With God the Three in One,
- And mystic sweet communion
- With those whose rest is won,
- With all her sons and daughters
- Who, by the Master’s Hand
- Led through the deathly waters,
- Repose in Eden land.
- 7 O happy ones and holy!
- Lord, give us grace that we
- Like them, the meek and lowly,
- On high may dwell with Thee:
- There, past the border mountains,
- Where in sweet vales the Bride
- With Thee by living fountains
- Forever shall abide! Amen
O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
our only Saviour, the Prince of Peace:
give us grace seriously to lay to heart
the great dangers we are in by our unhappy divisions.
Take away all hatred and prejudice,
and whatever else may hinder us
from godly union and concord;
that, as there is but one body and one Spirit,
one hope of our calling,
one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father of us all,
so we may henceforth be all of one heart and of one soul,
united in one holy bond of peace, of faith and charity,
and may with one mind and one mouth glorify you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.